If your child has come into close contact - either through the skin, eyes or mouth - with something that may be poisonous, call us immediately. Carolinas Poison Center is available 24/7 at 1-800-222-1222. Mecklenburg County residents can call the local emergency line at 704-355-4000. We can help determine whether or not your child is in danger and advise you about what to do next.
Emergency Actions for Accidental Poisonings:
- If the victim is having seizures or not breathing, CALL 911 Immediately. Don't Panic and Stay Calm.
- Check the mouth and remove any particles.
- Gather the child and product, pen, paper
- Call Carolinas Poison Center 1-800-222-1222
- Be prepared to give the name of the product, explain the type of exposure (swallowed or ingested poison, skin exposure, eye exposure, inhaled poison or injection (bite/sting). Give the approximate amount of product involved.
- Never make the child vomit unless instructed to do so by the Poison Center.
When you call Carolinas Poison Center, be prepared to give the specialist the following information:
- Child's age
- Child's weight
- Child's medical history
- Type of exposure
- Time of exposure
- Product information-have the container available if possible
- Telephone number
We work throughout the year to help prevent accidental poisonings. If you would like to have a member of our team speak at your day care center or school, or to your church or civic group, contact us to schedule a time by calling 704-512-3749. You may also access more information and download educational materials from our website (www.ncpoisoncenter.org).
Find out more about what you can do to help keep your children safe from accidental poisoning. Click on the links below to learn more about poison prevention and common poisonous substances.
||From the desk of Doc Smo
"Getting the Dose Right"
New information regarding cough and cold medicine
Acetaminophen and Your Child
Emergency First Aid
Insect Bites and Stings
Additional Educational Material
Commonly Asked Questions
Poison Help Downloadable Postcard